Relief Engine Company was instituted February 3, 1880 and was incorporated December 18th, of the same year. The second elected Red Bank Department Chief was Dr. Edwin C. Field from Relief Engine Company, in 1882.
The first company meeting was held in an undertaker's shop, the firemen using pine boxes for seats. For four years the members of Relief housed their handbrake engine in R. R. Mount Building on West Front Street. They moved from this building about 1889 to larger quarters on Pearl Street a few doors away from Monmouth Street. In 1914, a modern brick firehouse was built for the fire company on Drumond Place, the current location.
The same year the town purchased for the company a motordrawn American LaFrance pumper equipped with 600-foot of fire hose. This truck was then replaced in 1928 with a 1,000 gallon per minute American LaFrance pumper. In September 1951, the Boro of Red Bank purchased for the company a new 1,000 gallon per minute American LaFrance pumper. This engine was then replaced with a 1,250 gallon per minute pumper from American LaFrance, Metropolitan model, in January 1972.
The company is located at 11 Drummond Place, in a two story historic brick building. The property is owened and operated by the Borough of Red Bank.
Relief company's primary fire protection and life rescue responsibilities include a central area of the downtown. This area is bound by Monmouth Street at the northern side and spans through the south-eastern border of the town. The company's western boundary is bound by the NJ Transit railroad tracks and spans eastward to Broad Street and Branch Avenue. This area includes a mix of residential homes and buildings, significant part of the Rivercenter retail district, two Catholic schools and the performing arts Count Basi theater, on Monmouth Street. As all other companies, Engine 92 responds to all general alarms and working fires throughout the Borough.
Engine 92 is a 1992 Seagrave apparatus equipped with a 1,500 GPM discharge pump.