Union Hose-Monmouth County Station 64-5
We are located at:
161 Shrewsbury Avenue
Red Bank, NJ 07701
Union Hose Company was incorporated in March 18, 1897. However, the company was organized first as West Red Bank Hose Company in July 23, 1890. The first elected Red Bank fire chief from the Union Hose Company was Mr. Lester E. McQueen. Mr. McQueen then occupied the position of Chief for two consecutive years, 1907 and 1908. The company is located at 161 Shrewsbury Avenue, in a dual bay, two story building. The property is owned and operated by Union Hose company members.
Union Hose Company has primary fire protection and life rescue responsibilities within the west side of the Borough of Red Bank. This includes the area bound by West Bergen Place at the southern side and spans to the northern border of the town at Hubbard's bridge. The company's western boundary is the Navesink river or the town's western border and it spans eastward up to NJ Transit railroad tracks. The area includes a mix of residential homes and apartment complexes, a retail and commercial section along Shrewsbury Avenue and the Borough's Primary school at the end of River Street. It also includes portions of the Conrail railroad tracks used for transportation of industrial and hazardous materials. Of primary concern are industrial buildings and specifically Globe Petroleum, a petro-chemical distribution company located between the Conrail and NJ Transit tracks.
Union Hose Company with Engine 95 and its sister Westside Hose Company with Engine 96 jointly protect the westerly area of the Borough, as bound by the NJ Transit tracks and the Navesink river. As all other companies, Union Hose Company members respond to all general alarms and working fires throughout the Borough.
The pumper, Engine 95 (Monmouth County Engine 6478) currently in service supporting Union Hose Company firefighters, is a 1982 Mack-CF pumper. This engine, which was commissioned into service in 1982, was manufactured by Mack Trucks, Inc. of Seattle, Wa. It has a capacity of 1,250 GPM and it carries a driver and an officer within its fully enclosed front cab. Four additional firefighters may ride in a semi-open rear cab.
Engine 95 carries the following equipment for effective fire fighting:
- A left side pre-connected speedlay of 150-ft 1-3/4 inch hose.
- A right side pre-connected speedlay of 200-ft 1-3/4 inch hose.
- It packs four hose beds, two 3 inch hose beds with one bed pre-connected to the Humat valve, one 1-3/4 inch hose bed, and a 2-1/2 inch hose bed (with 500-ft rear pre-connected).
- Pre-piped deck gun.
- High expansion foam contained in ten 5-gallon drums.
- Two extension ladders (24-ft, 14-ft), a roof ladder, a closet/attic ladder and an A-Frame collapsible ladder.
- A 10-foot pike poll, a 6-foot pike poll and a closet hook.
- Three fire extinguishers, a Class A water tank, a CO2 and a dry chemical extinguisher.
- Eight 4,500 psi Scott Packs and fourteen reserve Scott air bottles.
- Other tools and appliances such as, axes, haligan, exhaust fan, gated valves and forcible entry devices are stored in the various compartments.